Practice Decision Request
Please place your practice question in writing using the criteria listed below. Forward your request to: Executive Director, Nevada State Board of Nursing, 5011 Meadowood Mall #300, Reno, NV 89502. Be sure to attach copies of nursing journal articles from your search. Your request will be placed on the next available agenda for the Nursing Practice Advisory Committee meeting. You are welcome and encouraged to participate in the committee process.
Approved by the Nursing Practice Advisory Committee 01/31/01
- State the practice question. Example: “Is it within the scope of practice for an (LPN, RN, APRN, CRNA, EMS-RN) to do . . .”
- How is this in the best interest of the consumer (the recipient of the nursing service)?
- Describe the current trends, standards (community, state, and national), nursing research, data and rationale that support this request.
- Describe the impact on the nurse. Include how the scope of practice will be expanded and whether the practice would be considered independent, interdependent, or dependent.
- Describe your view of the overall economic and manpower impact this practice would have on the State of Nevada. Include the impact on nurses, consumers, and the health care industry.
- Propose the standardized procedure of this practice.
- Describe and analyze the risks, benefits and alternatives.
- Describe the education components and/or requirements for initial and on-going competency.
- Describe the relationship of this practice to current and previous practice decisions, statutes, regulations, and advisory opinions.
- Include your name, place of employment and a phone number where you can be reached.
Social Media Guidelines
The use of social media and other electronic communication is expanding exponentially as the number of social media outlets, platforms and applications available continue to increase. The very nature of this medium however can pose a risk as it offers instantaneous posting opportunities that allow little time for reflective thought and carries the added burden that what is posted on the Internet can be discovered by law even when it is long deleted.
- Epicardial pacing wire
- Endoscope and colonoscope
- Gastrostomy tube / suprapubic catheter
- Hemovac and / or a Jackson-Pratt surgical drain
- Operational definitions for protocol, standing orders and preprinted order set
- Postmortem enucleation
- Rapid Sequence Intubation Guidelines – RSI
- Removing chest tubes
- Saphenous Vein
- The Role of the RN in Moderate / Procedural Sedation
- Antithrombolytic agents
- Collagen plug
- Epidural catheter removal
- External jugular peripherally inserted central catheters (EJ PICC) and external jugualr peripheral intravenous catheters (EJ PIV)
- Intraosseus lines
- Peripherally inserted central catheter
- Reversible opioid agonists
- Upper extremity peripheral intravenous catheter placement
- Administration of vitamin K, erythromycin eye ointment, hepatitis B vaccine for newborns
- Amniotomy (Rescinded Practice Decision)
- Cervical ripening agents
- Intrauterine pressure catheter
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- Post-coital testing
- Prostaglandin products
- Prostaglandin suppositories
- Vaginal speculum examination
- Complementary therapies
- Interfacility transfers
- Medical directions to EMS
- Paramedic practice
- Sexual assault nurse examiner
- Hours of employment for renewal certificates
- Requirements for CNA accompanying residents from long term care
- CNA Medication Delivery in the NV Department of Corrections
- CNA Skills Guidelines
Within Scope of Practice for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
- Faculty supervision of clinical students
- LPN utilization review
- Meaning of “field related to nursing”
- Operational definition of clinical for schools of nursing in Nevada
- Patient care requires Nevada license
- RN license required
- School nursing
OUT OF SCOPE OF NURSES’ PRACTICE
RNs and LPNs MAY NOT
LPNs MAY NOT
RESCINDED PRACTICE DECISIONS*
*A rescinded practice decision is no longer an approved practice decision and therefore no longer valid